Friday, February 09, 2007

Star Wars Weekend at Disney World

If there is one thing about my family that is a fact, it is that they are Disney freaks. That may sound a little a harsh, but it is true. Let me prove it to you. Our Christmas tree growing up had over 100 (probably closer to 200) Disney ornaments on it. In fact, instead of an angel on top of the tree, we had a Mickey Mouse. As a family, we have been to Disney World over a dozen times. That is as a family, my sister and parents have been there at least another 6 times. My sister and family live in California and have season passes to Disney Land. The list can go on and on, though I think that the point has been proven.

Any male that is between the ages of 25 and 35 that grew up in America have one thing in common, we all grew up playing with Star Wars toys. One of my favorite Christmas memories growing up was the year that I received an At-At for a Christmas present from Santa. Like all kids, I had other toys as well. I played with He-Man, GI Joe and Transformers; but is was Star Wars which was my favorite.

When I was little, Darth Vader was my favorite. One year (1983), I went as his for my Halloween costume. I liked him so much, that black was my favorite color (sounds pretty gothic, doesn’t it). Then when I got a little older it was Chewbacca. It is still Chewbacca.

M does not understand either fascination. It is something that has been ingrained into my being since I was a child. It is part of who I am, or at least what made me who I am. So I was surfing the net the other day when I came across something that was shocking to me (Before we go any further, it is important to note that my sister is an expert when it comes to Disney World. She knows the place better then most of the employees). They have what is called Star Wars Days at Disney World MGM Studios.

What this means is over three weekends in April/May the park is invaded by Star Wars characters. They have over 250 of them walking around the park at any given time. Now the majority of them are the Stormtroopers and stuff, but other characters walk around as well. For example Yoda is there, along with Darth Vader, the characters from the 3 newer films and of course Chewbacca. To say the least, I was in shock. How was I just learning about this.

The first thing that I did was call my sister. Like I said, she is the expert when it comes to Disney World. I was sure that she was going to be as amazed by the news as I was. After all, information like this would surely be shared if it was known. Boy was I wrong. The first thing she said was, “yea, I know. It is every spring!” If I was shocked by the event in general, this took shock to a new level. Not only had she known about it, but she had known about it for years. I am still in disbelief concerning it.

So there is where we are at. N has never visited a Disney Park, as of yet. She is not even 1 year old, so it is not too strange. We wanted to wait until she was old enough to enjoy it. At this very moment I am trying to convince M that this coming April (2008) would be the perfect time for N to enjoy the most magical place in the planet.
The Star Wars weekends for 2007 have not been published yet, but if you would like additional information about the events for the weekends. The following link is a good source of information.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/specialEvents?id=StarWarsWeekendsSpecialEventPage&bhcp=1

1 comment:

-Mike said...

Did the link get cut off? I'm not seeing it...