Wednesday, February 03, 2010

All Roads Lead to Rome

Work trips are usually not fun. Part of it is that you have to work while you are on work trips, which is always a downer (hence the name, “work trips”). The other part, at least for me, is that I always go to the same two spots. Not this time, this time I get to go Rome. I have been to Rome before. I fact, Rome is one of my favorite cities I have traveled to. I had a great introduction to it. In 1995 I traveled here and a local, of sorts, took us around. We ate at all the local places and were treated like we had been living there our whole lives. So I have always had fond memories of Rome.

The trip itself was uneventful…for the most part. The first flight was empty, well the seats next to me were empty and that is all that matters. A small layover and then a second flight on a smaller plane. Here is where the trip became a little more eventful. The guy next to me was a bit weird. Firstly, he smelled really, really bad. I had to cover my nose to be able to breathe. I would have moved to get away from the smell, but the flight was totally full. So I attempted to hold my breath for almost 3 hours. The other thing about this guy is that he was just weird. You could tell he was nervous about something. Plus he continued to touch himself (and I do mean touch himself). I was so ready to get off that plane and was thankful when I finally got to.

Took a taxi to the hotel, which was super easy from the airport. My hotel is placed perfectly in the historical center of Rome. From the front door you can see the forum and the coliseum. I am ready for food, being a tourist and more food!

No comments: