Friday, February 12, 2010

Rome all to myself

With working days and pretty tired at night, my sightseeing in Rome is limited to early morning. There is something special about walking a town and not seeing another sole out, especially one as busy and crazy as Rome. I had planned to go running a couple of times, but it has been way too cold to run in the shorts and t-shirt that I brought. So instead, I have been going for walks. One morning was around the Coliseum, another morning around Circo Massimo and over to the Mouth of Truth.


One morning I actually managed to get up even earlier and take a long walk. I started at the hotel and worked my way to Trevi Fountain going through Piazza Campidoglio. There was not another sole there. I had it all to myself. From there to the Spanish Steps where I saw my first car of the day (imagine, Rome without any cars, it is almost hard to believe). I continued to walk to the Piazza del Popolo where I turned around and headed back to the hotel walking back by Piazza Navona and the Pantheon (which has to be one of the coolest buildings in Rome). Arriving back at the hotel just in time for my morning espresso and fresh oranges from the orange trees outside my room.

I did do a couple of tourist things though. Went to the Vatican and had a walk through that. Also, one night after pizza I found myself walking into the church Saint Maria in Trastevere. Right when I was about to leave, service started and I sat down, sung some hymns (in Italian, or course) and got my card stamped. Now I just have to bring M back for a romantic weekend (meaning kid free).


More pictures on www.DnMAdventures.com later today



No comments: