Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Do parents actually see their kids?

This is a serious question. Do parents actually see who their kids are, both the good and the bad? We are quick to see the bad, which is perhaps just human nature. Though are we as quick to see the good in our kids. I do not mean that they behave properly, but as in talents.

Here is an example. We were at Swedish School last week when a lady stopped me and told me that Z was "so good". I said thanks and did not think anymore about it at that point. A couple of minutes after we headed home, I started to wonder what she meant by the fact that Z was "so good". Did she behave in class, which was not normal? Was her Swedish excellent (which it is compared to the other kids in her class)? Did she do something else which was good? I have no idea and I did not ask this week either. Then a couple of days later she was singing on the bus (something that drives me CRAZY) and the lady in front of us turned around and asked which music school we sent Z to, "because she has a beautiful voice." Had I ever thought that Z had a voice, yes. I probably thought that it was nice because I am the parent and not because it was so nice. The same thing with N and dancing. I do not know how many people have told me that N is a natural dancer. Maybe it is just easier to see other kids this way.

The next question is, if they have these talents, what can one do about it? Do you send them to music/dance/art class? Do you ignore it? Maybe try and develop it yourself? There has to be passion for one to be good, but maybe the passion can be developed.

Oh, the great questions of parenthood! Maybe if I figure out the answers, I'll write a parenting book.

2 comments:

Ärïk said...

If you write the book, I will read it.

DnMAdventures said...

That is why I like you!